You are currently browsing the monthly archive for March 2009.

As I posted last week, I have been making lots of fabric roses over the last couple of weeks, linking into the rose water used in the making of turkish delight. This includes soft roses made from chiffon:


And more close knit roses using heavier fabrics:


I then started playing around with different sizes and with placing them on the body. Starting with something subdued!


Then something more floaty:


With a bit more contrast:


Pretty in purple:


Ready for a ball?


Then I started exploring using some of the screen printed fabrics I had left over from my work experience in the summer. This one is a screen printed stretch of sari fabric in a gorgeous shot turquoise silk:


Also thinking about the traditional top from a Salwar Kameez.


And a combination of screen printing with roses:


Lots of ideas and possibilities then! Meantime the harem trousers are come on. We started with a basic easy fitting trouser block and have been adapting them to the shape we want. The pattern is looking a little mad at the moment. However the proof of the pudding will be in the toiling…


Have been a wee bit slack with the blog recently, but have not been slacking on the Full of Eastern Promise Project. Our research was started by a week’s drawing of some beautiful set ups:


Including this exquisite child’s mirrored jacket thickly embroidered in bright colours and with a wide selection of colourful buttons along the edging:


And this lovely number with a top and long skirt:


At the same time we have also been down in the library and on the Internet doing lots of research, which is being compiled in sketchbooks (still in progress). This includes determining the colour palette and initial inspiration:


Looking at Ralph Lauren and tribes people:


Cut work from Fendi and Islamic pattern:


Circular edges and Islamic architecture:


Henna designs and Indian embroidery:


Traditional garments from India and Palestine:


We have also been receiving some basic instruction in millinery learning to create:

  • professional fascinator bases
  • cubist roses in a range of sizes
  • sinamay bias strips that can be twisted and sculpted into a wide range of weird and wonderful designs

We have also been given a demonstration on blocking felt and sinamay over different shapes. I got really into the cubist rose technique and they seem to keep growing. Photos in the next blog…

On Thursday we had a college trip through to Glasgow to the Collins Gallery and their exhibition: Crowning Glory : Architecture for the head from the International Feltmakers’ Association. There were a lot of weird and wonderful shapes and forms which offered some inspiration for our upcoming design and make of a head piece: (please click on a thumbnail to view the full image)

We also made a final pilgramage to the VV Rouleaux shop which is closing in Glasgow, and to Allison street and Cathcart Street to visit the Indian fabric shops for fabric ideas. Bling bling!

Over the last two weeks I have been focusing on resolving the Identity Project before fully throwing myself into the new brief – Full of Eastern Promise. Here is the outcome of the identity project which included making a banner that could be worn on the body and a series of accessories…

I started making a paper kilt made from stitched ‘return to sender’ envelopes, here is a detail:


This lead onto an embellished kilt including a wide variety of fabric manipulation:


Here is a close up detail of one panel including silk paper made from cocoon strippings:


And of course my cheeky stag friends:


Or perhaps a more sophisticated fabric cameo necklace on its own:


With this project now well and truly completed, its Full of Eastern Promise, Harem pants and turbans here I come…