You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘HND textiles and fashion’ category.

To celebrate the end of the HND in Fashion and Textiles we were invited to take part in a fashion show at funky glasses designer Oscar and Fitch. Seeing all the glasses laid out was like being in a sweetie shop:

oscar and fitch glasses

And the shelving very eye catching:

oscar and fitch glasses shelves

The clothes were all modelled by the degree Dance students at Telford who were fabulous and whose confidence really showed off the clothes.

bella FEP outfit1 fep outfit

It was great to see all the outfits coming together:

Louise outfit2 danielle outfit dans outfit kathy outfit

The dance routines were great and suited the theme of Full of Eastern Promise perfectly:

full of eastern promise

The show also included the First Year HND Little Black Dress projects – wearing of course some very striking glasses:

little black dresses2 LBD

And the Botanics project completed earlier in the year:

apron and jacket2 apron and jacket3

dans jacket botanics

And our shirts from the 1st year also had an outing. I loved the way that Mark carried off my shirt with its over long sleeves and peter pan collar.

white shirt white shirt 2

kathys white shirt

For more photos go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellacranmore/sets/72157619498218554/

Advertisements

It all came together over the last week or so… Here is my organza top complete with three chains of fabric roses:

top with 3 fabric rose necklaces 

The fabric roses are made of a fair bit of fabric and so have a good weight. This means that I did not have to attach them to the top itself and was able to create three separate necklaces that could then be styled in different ways. For example, with a single strand…

top with single rose fabric necklace

With a long and a short necklace:

top with long and short necklace

And with two longer necklaces:

top with 2 fabric rose necklaces

I made each necklace with a tie closure so that the length could be adjusted as required. Each end of the rouleau loop was then finished with a cover button – tying in with the details on the harem trousers (see below…).

ties for fabric rose necklaces

The top itself is light weight and attached with a tie at the back of the neck – inspired by the scarves worn with Salwar Khamis style suits.

top back

The finished trousers are certainly eye catching and not for the faint hearted:

finished harem trousers

I am really pleased with how the buttons up the calf and outside leg worked out. The printed facing on the outside links in with the printing used for the roses themselves, and works well with the cover buttons and rouleau loops.

button and rouleau loop detail

We have a fashion show next week in town so hopefully I will get some pics of the full outfit on a living breathing model!

I finished my head piece this week. This involved sewing my sinamay strips of different widths into twists and then attaching them firmly to the covered headband using a glue gun.

finished head piece

From the left:

head piece left

And from the right:

head piece right

I also spent a while in the dye room this week printing up my fabric using silver and bronze printing inks combined with metal foiling. I then started making up my fabric roses for the top:

printed fabric roses

Here is a close up including the gold stamen:

printed roses

Screen printing tests on Thursday, starting off with a test of the whole screen (white fabric paint on red satin):

white on red screenprint test

Then experimenting with metallic and pearl inks:

silver on brown screenprint

And then lots more fun screenprinting with glue and then foiling:

foiling and screenprinting

The photos don’t really do the samples justice (summer seems to have forgotten about Edinburgh and the cloud and rain has descended with a vengence…) however the foiling worked really well. Next week I am going to experiment with some copper and bronze foil.

I also finished off my designs in my sketchbook. Here is a selection starting with some rose embellishment:

design set 1

Something a bit more sexy and slim line:

design 2

Getting a bit more flamboyant:

design3

Harem princess with rose detailing:

design4

Pretty in blue and gold:

design5

Cluster of smaller roses v. one large rose:

design6

Harem trousers were on my mind this week in a big way. The pattern is looking pretty mad:

harem-trouser-patterns

The original pattern was created from a basic trouser block, and then purposely made too large so that I could play around with the shaping. I started by making a toile in jersey to see how it would hang, and then did a fitting pinning up the sides to get the shape I was after.

harem-trouser-toile-1

I then made a toile from the adapted pattern a second time using a non-stretchy fabric which is a closer match to my final cloth. The waist band and pleating at the top worked well however the bottoms of the trousers were just too tight. Bear in mind also that the trousers are intended for someone lots taller than me and wearing high heels….

harem-trouser-toile-2

So I adapted the pattern and toiled half a leg to check that they would fit.

harem-trouser-toile-3

So it looks like I am now well on my way. The next stage is finalising the finishing details including the zip at the back and buttons and button loops down the side of the calf and bottom of the trousers.